My sister and I recently started discussing the show “Arrow.” It has been a lot of fun and full of lots of thought provoking ideas. This blog contains some of the quotes we have found in the show and our reflections around them.
Why do we like Arrow…
- Its a superhero show – I wish we could all be superheros and this show reveals to us that becoming a superhero is a process…a process we can all go through.
- It’s got that redemption element. Oliver, redeemed, or at least trying…figuring out who he is…and so is a lot of the rest of the cast.
- The way the former/playboy Oliver, the island Oliver, the Oliver now, and his persona of “Arrow” all come together to make who he really is. They are all a part of him and he has to constantly wrestle with who is coming out in each moment.
- The way he refers to his time on “the island”…big metaphor…it could be interpreted in multiple ways. His time alone, time in forced isolation, the time that changed him, time that tore him away from society, time that scarred him, time that reformed him into who he is now, time that others can’t understand.
- He keeps a lot of secrets…the Silent Champion…there is both power and weakness in this.
- I think a lot of the differences between guys and girls come out in this show. It raises a lot of questions for me about what guys are thinking. There are a few scenes where I would love to ask a guy…”what is Oliver thinking right here?” I know what the girls are thinking and what I would be thinking if I were Oliver…but I would like to know what a guy would actually be thinking. Also, a few of the guys I know really like this show. It’s unusual to have a show that both girls and guys like.
- It is well acted by whoever plays Oliver (in my non-actor-educated opinion)…I love how he looks physically different, sounds different, and even has different expressions when there are flashbacks to before he was on the island and when he was on the island.
- I’m intrigued by what is actually possible vs. what is just special effects. For example, can he really do that thing where he jumps the bar up to each consecutively higher notch? I watched a commentary about a few of the scenes and he talks about how a lot of the scenes use par-core…and he does a lot of his own stunts/par-core scenes…interesting.